Posted by: reformedmusings | February 25, 2011

Upgrading Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid to 10.10 Maverick

I believe that I’m officially over the bleeding-edge upgrade-on-day-one obsession. I now ensure that my mission-critical applications all run on a new Ubuntu release before upgrading. The main thing holding me back from upgrading my system from Lucid to Maverick was compatibility with VMWare Workstation 7.x. Someone produced a patch that helped, but I prefer native support over patches. I recently learned that Workstation 7.1.3 achieved full Maverick host compatibility, so I decided to update to Maverick tonight.

As usual, I chose to use Update Manager to upgrade my system. It offered the 10.10 update near the top of the window. I simply clicked on the Upgrade button and answered the questions. Ubuntu then installed over 1400 packages, updated those necessary, and deleted obsolete ones. It asked about keeping several configuration files, of which I only preserved my Samba setup. Including the download over my 25 Gbps connection, the whole process took maybe 30 minutes or so. At the end, it requires a reboot of course.

As part of the upgrade, the upgrade utility disables all third-party repositories. That makes perfect sense since they will all point to the Lucid package collections. However, Ubuntu makes recovering them easy by adding “disabled on upgrade to maverick” to the beginning of the applicable descriptions. I changed the appropriate references to Maverick and re-enabled the repositories, then reloaded the package list per Update Manager’s prompting when I closed it. I had a ton of updates from Lucid to Maverick versions – about 254 MB of them including the Libre Office 3.3.1 suite.

Bottom line: near-perfect update. The process preserved my highly-customized setup with only three small exceptions. First, it moved my “spare” SATA drive to sdi when it had been sdd under Lucid. I have no idea why. So, I had to edit its entry in /etc/fstab to get it to mount automatically on restart.

Second, also for unexplainable reasons, Rhythmbox forgot its status icon setting so that when I minimized it to the notification area (system tray), it disappeared. This issue obviously fell to Rhythmbox, not Ubuntu. It was easily remedied using the gnome configuration editor:

gconf-editor

Go to apps -> rhythmbox -> plugins -> status-icon:

Set the status-icon-mode to something other than 0, which disables the status-icon. After changing mine to 2, I exited the editor and the Rhythmbox icon magically appeared in the system tray. Issue resolved.

Third, the upgrade uninstalled ubuntu-tweak. Again I have no idea why. I simply reinstalled it using Synaptic. Easy fix.

The acid test involved running VMWare Workstation after the upgrade to Maverick. Workstation treated the upgrade as a simple kernel update, recompiled its service files, then ran perfectly. Mission accomplished.

Everything works perfectly. This has been the most trouble-free upgrade I’ve done under Ubuntu – a great job by the development team!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: