Posted by: reformedmusings | October 19, 2008

VMWare Tools issue in Intrepid Ibex

I have another post coming momentarily on the latest beta for Kubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) which I’m testing in a virtual machine. However, I found something interesting when installing it in WMware VMWorkstation 6.05 . The standard VMWare Tools installation I documented here failed to the point of locking up the virtual machine. The problem appeared to be with the Tools memory module. So, I downloaded the updated open source VMWare Tools and tried again, this time using my original instructions here replacing ALL the tar files in the Tools installation. The latter worked fine, although the tiny font problem recurred when sizing the screen up. Hmmmm.

Anyway, the Intrepid virtual machine is working fine at the moment other than the fonts. I know the fix for that and explained it here. It isn’t my first choice, though. The font problem doesn’t occur in all Linux virtual machines and I haven’t discovered the common denominator yet.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. […] using VMWare Workstation 6.05. I ran into problems with VMWare Tools in the setup which I discuss here. I got things rolling in the end and played around a […]


Categories

%d bloggers like this: